Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Uneek Doll Designs


Step away from those ubiquitous, pink-tafetta-swathed, impossibly-proportioned dolls and meet the hand-crafted dolls from Uneek Doll Designs!
Inspired to make her own designs by the lack of interesting character dolls for a specialty dollhouse, artist Debbie Ritter began to design dolls with unique personalities.

Each doll is infused with significance drawn from literary, historical and cultural events: “Inspired from history, old movies, classic literature, and everything in between, my special characters are made one at time, without a pattern.” Her work encompasses a huge range of figures from author Edgar Allan Poe to the Bronte sisters, Queen Elizabeth I to Susan Boyle, and a plethora of literary characters from L.M. Montgomery’s Anne Shirley to Shakespeare’s King Lear.

Intricate attention to period details, careful craftsmanship and a touch of humor and whimsy, mark these dolls as true works of art. “The arms, hair, and even the costumes are all hand crafted personally by me, and I hand paint each and every face!” says Ritter, “I sign and date each and every piece that I do.”
Check out her extensive gallery of dolls available through Etsy.com at http://www.UneekDollDesigns.etsy.com. If you have a particular character or author in mind, please contact her through Etsy to arrange a custom commission. (Photos (from top): "The Bronte Sisters Wear Velvet," "Macbeth and Lady Macbeth Miniatures" and "Mr and Mrs. Bennet." All photos courtesy of Uneek Doll Designs.)

1 comment:

  1. This is so nice! I love the fact you are doing a literary blog, right down my alley! :)

    Thank you for your kind words and the lovely blog too, I am truly thankful for your feature!

    ReplyDelete